Get up and goals! offers tools to support schools in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
Schools play a crucial role to achieve Goal 4 of the 2030 Agenda – Ensure inclusive equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
And also, of target 4.7
By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development
Which is considered fundamental for the success of the Agenda.
Furthermore, schools must deal with many of the effects of the big global issues mentioned in the 2030 Agenda (above all, inequalities), while also remaining at the heart of the educational system in all communities.
Schools can take the following steps in order to actively work towards a sustainable development:
- Strengthening the relationship with local communities, taking action and networking with associations, universities, institutions and other stakeholders so to create an environment of consistent support for all students;
- Embedding Global Citizenship Education in all aspects of the students’ learning process (including learning environments). Teaching and learning will then become means to understand the present, to imagine solutions for the future and to learn how to get by in a society;
- Using the assessment tools to carefully monitor the school progress in the implementation of the Global Citizenship Education and Education for Sustainable Development in its programs;
- Actively promoting paper and plastic recycling, food waste reduction and the creation of green areas in the school environment;
- Appreciating and celebrating diversity and overcoming racism, xenophobia, and prejudices.
Get up and goals! has created a Guide for sustainable and global schools aimed at helping schools in the implementation and systematisation of such steps.
All partners of Get up and goals! are available to support schools in this process in the 12 countries involved in the project.
Last but not least, to learn more about Global Citizenship Education and related matters, please, visit our Library.